X-Rite has announced the oddly-named i1 Display Studio, a lower-cost screen colour calibration tool designed for photographers ‘who perhaps don’t have an in-depth knowledge of color science’ – which one could presume to be a fairly large segment of the market!
Accompanying the entry-level i1 Display Studio is the more fully-featured (and equally affronting to the English language) i1 Display Pro Plus, ‘the ultimate solution to colour manage super-bright, HD, and HDR display technology.’
The X-Rite i1Display Studio features one-click presets, and an easy-to-navigate options panel for more precise control; ‘…everything you need in an easy-to-use solution that delivers high-quality calibration and profile results in no time.’
– An ergonomically designed colourimeter with advanced optical technology and filter set;
– 3-in-1 functionality – designed to easily switch between display or projector profiling and ambient light capture;
– i1Studio software for display and projector profiling;
– Mobile Device Calibration with free ColorTRUE mobile app;
– Intelligent Iterative Profiling to accurately measure the colour capabilities of a display;
– Custom control of white point, luminance, contrast ratio and gamma;
– Colour match up to four separate displays for colour accuracy;
– Measurement and compensation of ambient lighting conditions;
– FlareCorrect for display surface flare measurement and compensation;
– Video Standards Support: NTSC, PAL SECAM, Rec. 709, Rec. 2020 and DCI-P3;
– Profile validation and reminder to view before and after results with included images or load your own.
The i1Display Pro Plus for working with super-bright, HD, and HDR displays includes the ability to measure high luminance levels (to 2000 nits) as well as the ability to obtain correct neutral shadow detail levels and higher accuracy in dark colours.
It’s particularly useful on OLED displays or any display that can achieve close to zero black point, according to X-Rite.
But don’t take our word for it – read the official press release for more details: X-Rite i1 Display
The new X-Rite products are due for release this month. US pricing is $269 for the Display Studio with Color Checker Passport 2 included, while the Display Pro Plus and Color Checker Passport Video is US$399.