October 5, 2011: The inaugural Harshlight ‘Think Tank’, held on the last weekend of September at Salamander Bay in the beautiful Port Stephens area of NSW, was ‘clearly a great success’, according to Harshlight’s Michael Marlborough.
Thirty delegates attended, representing specialist photo retails stores from Coff’s Harbour to Elsternwick and everywhere in-between.
The Think Tank took the form of positive discussion regarding generating new business, as well as being an open forum for members to showcase how they are approaching their local market, focusing on what stores do well, and sharing that knowledge.
During the sessions, delegates discussed a multitude of new business ideas for stores to implement.:
– offering new services such as image correction using one touch software tools;
– running training courses in-store, and getting clients more in tune with how they can get better print work produced;
– new opportunities abound in the local schools markets to bring in school print work for art classes, etc;
– looking for new avenues to offer a printed product and approaching other retail businesses such as florists, cake decorators and car hire companies;
– in-store calendar printing (artwork coming!);
– data restore/recovery services.
Several people who were unable to attend have already expressed their regret! All Harshlight members will benefit from the Think Tank, though, with the materials already having been uploaded onto the Harshlight website.
Feedback from delegates has been very positive – and not only because of the fabulous prizes handed out! Everyone left with not only a lot to think about – but with the knowledge required to actually put ideas into action!
The only ‘complaint’ was that the delegates wanted more! With 13 sessions, covering topics ranging from free software to best utilising social media, from understanding new workflow tools, to business-to-business printing opportunities, there was a lot of information for delegates to absorb. However, if the lively discussions in-between sessions and at the dinner that followed are any indication, it clearly inspired delegates to implement the ideas!
Planning has already begun for Think Tank 2012, with location suggestions ranging from Thredbo to Albury, and Elsternwick to Hawaii! Anyone interested in attending, or learning more about Harshlight Solutions should contact Michael Marlborough on 0466 304 755 or at [email protected]
– Michael Marlborough
– Not long enough! Next year we need another day!
Pro-Am Laboratories, Adamstown NSW
– Short. Sharp. To the point. Brilliant.
Fletchers Fotographics, Coffs Harbour NSW
– Hand-out/Follow-up notes to take away? Very good!
Digital Prints & Images, Bathurst NSW
– Great to discuss these opportunities with other like minded businesses.
Salamander Photo Centre, Salamander Bay NSW
– The best conference I’ve been to.
Elsternwick Camera Centre, Elsternwick VIC
(Photo Counter profiled Harshlight Solutions last year. To access, click here.)