Sigma has announced a new range of full-frame mirrorless lenses which are compact, with all-metal construction, outstanding performance and, not least, head-turning price points.
The three new lenses are the 24mm F3.5 DG DN | Contemporary, 35mm F2 DG DN | Contemporary, and 65mm DG DN | Contemporary, and they join the previously released 45mm F2.8 DG DN | Contemporary to form the I series. They are available in L-mount (Panasonic, Sigma, Leica) and Sony E-mount.
(‘But see here,‘ you might say, ‘if this is the I series, why don’t they carry the letter ‘I’ in their names?’ To which I might say, ‘I really haven’t got a clue.’)
These lenses seem to tick all the boxes for lens purchase: they are light and compact, affordable, well-constructed and, if reviews of recent Sigma lens releases are anything to go by, will deliver good optical performance.
They range in weight from 225g (24mm) to 405g (65mm)
‘When it comes to mirrorless cameras, striking the proper balance between performance and size is even more crucial. We believe there is a growing demand for compact, high-performance, high-quality lenses,’ said Sigma America President Mark Amir-Hamzeh. ‘The introduction of the I series of full-frame mirrorless-exclusive lenses answers this call. The I series represents a new option: premium compact primes that are stylish in appearance with impressive specifications and optical performance.’
Sigma claims the lenses are ‘built to the mechanical and operational standards of Sigma Cine lenses, in compact mirrorless form.’
While we are still waiting on local release details, the three new lenses will be available in the US from mid-January (shipping issues permitting) at the following prices:
24mm F3.5 DG DN | Contemporary (MSRP $549)
35mm F2 DG DN | Contemporary (MSRP $639)
65mm F2 DG DN | Contemporary (MSRP $699)
The 45mm F2.8 DG DN | Contemporary is already available in Australia at an RRP of $749 (US price id US$549) which would indicate the three new optics will also be under $1000 in this market.
Key I series Lens Features:
– All-metal body, with high-precision metal internal parts, and a metal lens hood. The 24mm F3.5 is a petal-type hood;
– All I series lenses feature a manual aperture ring and knurled surfaces;
– The 35mm F2 and 65mm F2 lenses feature a newly-designed arc-type auto/manual focus mode switch;
– The 24mm F3.5, 35mm F2 and 65mm F2 lenses all feature a dust and splash-proof mount;
– The three new lenses each ship with both a plastic lens cap and a magnetic metallic cap;
– An optional magnetic cap holder features a mini-carabiner for clipping to a camera bag, jacket or belt loop, and has a doughnut-style center hole to easily remove the cap when it is time to place it back on the lens.