Olympus has finally lifted the veil on its OM-D E-M1X, a pro sports-oriented 20.4-megapixel M43 camera which will be available from late February, with an RRP of $4499.
Olympus also squeezed in the announcement of new flash and lens products, an FL-700WR Wireless Flash, a FC-WR Wireless Commander and FR-WR Wireless Receiver available from late February; along with the development of a M. Zuiko Digital ED 150-400mm F4.5 TC1.25x IS PRO super telephoto zoom lens and MC-20 Digital 2x teleconverter.
Those who paid attention to the leaks and rumours from the last three weeks will already be familiar with the E-M1X camera. Practically all the information was spot on. Read Inside Imaging‘s ‘first look’ review here.
The E-M1X main features include:
– A bulky integrated built-in battery grip;
– Precise AF system with AF Multi-Selector, All-Cross-Type On-Chip Phase Detection AF Sensor, and Intelligent Subject Detection AF;
– Pro Capture Mode and 60 fps High-Speed Sequential Shooting;
– Dual TruePic VIII Image Processors;
– World’s best Image stabilisation: In combination with a M.Zuiko IS PRO lens, this technology enables the 5-axis sync IS to compensate for approximately 7.5 shutter speed steps.
Since the pre-release info was correct, we’ll leave it here. Read the local press release here.
It’s part of the M.Zuiko Pro series, meaning it has quality optical performance and a hardy sealed build makes it dust, splash, and freeze proof.
The lens comes with a built-in 1.25x teleconverter, the first of its kind, which can extend the maximum 35mm equivalent focal length to 300-1000mm.
The IS stands for in-lens image stabilisation. And that’s all we know.
MC-20 Digital 2x teleconverter
This teleconverter doubles the focal length of the lens mentioned above, and the M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm F4.0 IS PRO and M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F2.8 PRO.
The lens can also apparently double the magnification of the super telephoto zoom lens, for powerful macro shooting.
The MC-20 Digital 2x teleconverter is scheduled for winter 2019.
Read the press release for the lens and teleconverter here.
Olympus FL-700WR Wireless Flash, FC-WR Wireless Commander and FR-WR Wireless Receiver
Scheduled to go on sale in late February, this Olympus wireless radiowave flash system is dust and splash proof making it ideal for on-location shoots.
The FL-700WR delivers full flash power after a 1.5 second charge, and can fire up to 10fps during sequential flash shooting.
A built-in wireless radiowave communication function can go as far as 30 metres, and works areas with obstructions.
The flash is compatible with OM-D shooting modes, such as High Res Shot, Focus Stacking, and Focus Bracketing.
It’s also equipped with Multi Flash mode, which ‘makes it possible to express subject motion by firing multiple times during long exposures or bulb shooting. The intensity, interval (frequency), and number of shots can be configured for perfect settings to match the subject’.
Other features include:
– Super FP flash: This enables high-speed synchronisation that exceeds the camera’s maximum sync speed;
– First-curtain/second-curtain Sync: Fires when the shutter curtain opens7 or closes;
– TTL mode: The flash fires (pre-flash) to measure the required intensity and the output is automatically adjusted to the optimal level. – Equipped with an LED light for movies: 77° angle of illumination, and 100 lux brightness emittance from 1 meter away;
– Bounce: The bounce angle can be adjusted within 180° horizontally and 90° vertically;
– Equipped with a catchlight panel and wide panel: The firing angle covers the focal length of 7 mm (14mm) when using the wide panel;
– Equipped with auto zoom: The firing angle is supported on lenses with a focal length of 12-75mm (24-150mm);
– Charging completion indication: The FL-700WR flash emits an electronic sound when charging is complete.
The FC-WR Wireless Commander can connect to three groups and an unlimited amount of flash units, with the ability to configure which groups to fire and at what flash intensity. Each group has a dedicated button, making it simple to adjust the shooting mode flash intensity.
FL-700WR RRP: $569
FC-WR RRP: $489
FR-WR RRP: $329
Read the flash unit press release here.