Drone market leader DJI has entered the action camera market with the $499 Osmo Action – $100 less than the GoPro equivalent.
The Osmo Action is waterproof to 11 metres, dustproof and shockproof, and can operate in temperatures below freezing point. It has colour screens back (2.25-inch) and front (1.4-inch) with the rear touchscreen having a water- and fingerprint-repelling coating. DJI claims the screen brightness of 750 nits can be used in direct sunlight.
Operation is via three dedicated buttons, with a SnapShot mode which turns the camera on and begins recording in under two seconds.
Sensor is a 12-megapixel, 1/2.3-inch size which shoots 4K video up to 60 fps at 100Mbps. The lens cap is finished with two layers of anti-fingerprint coating, as well as an anti-reflective coating to reduce ‘lens glare’.
DJI has big claims for its electronic image stabilisation system including three stops of dynamic range when recording High Dynamic Range (HDR) video in 4K/30fps. It has a removable battery with a run time of 93 minutes recording at 4K/30fps with image stabilisation, and 135 minutes recording at 1080p/30fps without stabilisation. It also has dual microphones and voice control, and a 3.5mm audio port.
– Slo-mo: 8x slow motion in 1080p 240fps or 4x slow motion in 1080p 120fps;
– Custom Exposure settings: Manual and semi-automatic settings that allow up to 120 seconds of exposure;
– The DJI Mimo app connects Osmo Action to a mobile device via WiFi or Bluetooth for live feed of the camera, multiple story templates, in-app quick editing, ‘and more’;
– Camera Frame Kit: A universal mount for additional accessories and a window for the LED indicator to show camera status in real time while protecting the device;
– Adhesive mounts to attach the Osmo Action to flat or curved surfaces.
Optional accessories include a waterproof case for depths of 60 metres, a selfie/extension stick, a floating handle, a variety of lens filters and a charging hub.
According to the DJI Australia website, the DJI Osmo Action is now available at an RRP of $499 – a $100 discount on the GoPro Hero7.
DJI products are distributed into the photo channel by CR Kennedy &Co: