(UPDATED June 28): Detailed rumours of Canon launching the EOS 6D Mark II, the EOS 200D, a new entry level DSLR to replace the EOS 100D, and a new fast prime 85mm lens are circulating with increasing confidence on photo news aggregation sites around the world. (And are now confirmed.)
Someone, somewhere seems to be feeding incremental details on the 6D MkII to an always hungry, rarely discriminating rumour mill on a regular basis. These controlled leaks are used as a marketing PR tactic to extend exposure for a product announcement. Canon has form here, and this looks like that sort of duck!
The 6D Mk II has an all-new 26-megapixel full frame CMOS sensor, and a US$2000 body-only US suggested retail price.
The full specs came out a couple of days before the ‘official launch’:
– Number of effective pixels: 26.2 million pixels (total number of pixels: 27.1 million pixels);
– DIGIC 7 image processor;
– 45 points all cross type AF system;
– Dual pixel CMOS AF;
– 7560 pixels RGB + IR metering sensor;
– Viewfinder ratio of viewfinder: about 98% for up / down / left / right;
– Viewfinder magnification: 0.71 times;
– Burst shooting up to 6.5 frames / sec (up to about 4 frames / sec when servo AF is set for Live View shooting);
– Standard ISO: 100 – 40,000;
– Shutter speed: 1/4000 to 30 seconds, Valve, strobe synchronized maximum shutter speed 1/180 second;
– Video: Full HD 60p, HD 60p;
– 5 Axis Electronic Image Stabilisation;
– 4K time lapse movie;
– Wi-Fi · Bluetooth · NFC · GPS;
– Electronic level;
– Battery: LP-E6N / LP-E6;
– Number of storable pictures: approx. 1200 pictures (when viewfinder shooting);
– Media: SD / SDHC / SDXC card (UHS-I card compatible)
– Size: 144.0 x 110.5 x 74.8mm
– Weight: 685 g (body only), 765 g (including battery and SD card)
– Kit lens (overseas): EF 24 – 70 mm F4L IS USM; EF 24 – 105 mm F 4 L IS II USM; EF 24 – 105 mm F 3.5 – 6 IS STM.
US recommended body only price is US$1999 – so probably just under $3000 with GST in this market. Shipping is in early August.
One local retailer already has the 6D advertised for $2999 (confirming our guess), with a price of $4179 with a 24-70mm f4 lens, $3579 with a 24-105mm lens and $6159 with a 16-35mm f2.8 lens.
Full local press release: Canon EOS 6D MkII_June 2017
The new entry-level camera (‘Rebel SL2’ in the US), will replace the 4-year old EOS 100D as the smallest DSLR in the Canon range. Full specs are:
– Number of effective pixels: 24.2 million pixels (Total number of pixels: 25.8 million pixels);
– DIGIC 7;
– Dual pixel CMOS AF;
– Distance measurement point: 9 points (central one point cross distance measurement);
– Viewfinder ratio of viewfinder: about 95%, viewfinder magnification: 0.87 times;
– Touch Panel Compatible Varie-angle LCD (3.0 inch, 1.04 million dots);
– Continuous: Up to 5 frames / sec (up to about 3.5 frames / sec when servo AF is set for Live View shooting);
– Standard ISO: 100-25,600 (extended ISO: 51200 [H]);
– Shutter speed: 1/4000 to 30 seconds, Valve, strobe synchronization Maximum shutter speed 1/200 seconds;
– Video: Full HD, 5 axis electronic image stabilization;
– Wi-Fi · Bluetooth · NFC installed;
– Battery: LP-E 17;
– Number of storable pictures: approx. 840 pictures (when viewfinder shooting);
– Media: SD / SDHC / SDXC card (UHS-I card compatible);
– Size: 122.4 x 92.6 x 69.8mm;
– Weight: 406g (body only – black), 453g (including battery and SD card).
The 200D/SL2 has a recommended price of US$700 with standard kit lens. Local pricing is $999 with 18-55mm lens and $1412 with that lens plus a 55-250mm kits lens.
Full local press release: Canon EOS 200D_June 2017
The EF 85mm f/1.4L IS lens is also rumoured to be in the launch queue. This will not replace the current the 85mm f/1.2L but be an addition to the Canon range.