October 18, 2010: Australian Think Tank camera bag distributor L&P has launched the new Think Tank Sling-O-Matic, which boasts of being ‘the photo industry’s first sling bag that can be easily switched back and forth to either shoulder’ .
The Sling-O-Matic’s adjustable, fully-padded shoulder strap ‘automatically’ slides along a set of rails to change which shoulder the bag can be worn on.
This solves a problem inherent with sling bags: they are designed to be to worn over one shoulder only. With one smooth motion, the Sling-O-Matic can be quickly switched to the opposite shoulder without losing the characteristics that have made sling bags popular among photographers.
The Sling-O-Matic series offers three bags to choose from. The Sling-O-Matic 10 can carry a pro-size DSLR and three to four lenses, including a 70-200 f2.8. The Sling-O-Matic 20 and Sling-O-Matic 30 can each carry a pro-size DSLR and four to six lenses, including a 70-200 f2.8. The Sling-O-Matic 30 also features a separate laptop compartment for carrying a 15.4-inch laptop.
‘However flawed their basic design, sling bags have long been a favourite among photographers, especially those who like carrying their gear on their shoulders,’ said Doug Murdoch, Think Tank Photo president and lead designer.
‘With the Sling-O-Matic we solved one of their biggest problems, which is that carrying heavy equipment solely on one shoulder can cause pain. Within just a few seconds, photographers can quickly switch the load – and the weight – from one shoulder to the other.’
• Industry’s first sling bag that can be easily switched back and forth to either shoulder;
• Each bag fits a DSLR with up to a 70-200 f2.8 lens with lens hood in position;
• All bags are flexible to fit most pro size DSLRs with a lens attached;
• Discreetly stylized to avoid obviously appearing like a camera bag;
• Long side pocket for carrying a tripod, large water bottle, or other accessories;
• Large handles on three sides;
• Wide zippered pockets on front, back, and side;
• Business card pocket for identification;
• Removable/adjustable straps and waist belt for additional stability;
• Small storage pocket for storing removable straps;
• Fully padded compartments for protection;
• Seam-sealed rain cover included.
Available now, L&P says Sling-O-Matic bags are in the $160 – 250 (RRP) price range.